Finding the right photographer for your family session or high school senior portraits is such an important and personal journey. Here are five questions you should ask before you begin your search:
- What editing style do you absolutely love? Do you like bright and airy, dark and moody, or colorful and vibrant?
- What emotions do you want your session to portray (joyful, happy, fun, or more serious, emotional, moody…etc.)? This is why I don’t believe you have to stick to ONE photographer for your family. Different phases in your life, different parts of your story, may be told in different styles and fit with different photographers. There are so many amazing photographers in our area, each with their own unique style of editing, posing, and storytelling.
- Do you like the photographer’s personality and their story/brand? I specifically remember this being a deciding factor when I was first looking for a family photographer…there were so many beautiful choices out there when it came to styles; but it was this photographer’s “about me” and her WHY that convinced me she was the photographer for us.
- What do their reviews say? I always suggest reading reviews…not just based on “stars” or rating. I like to read what others are actually saying to truly understand what their session was like and how it made them feel. I do want to add that not ALL reviews are 100% accurate. I’ve been blessed to never personally encounter this BUT I’ve known other photographers, who are the sweetest, kindest people, who produce stunning images…have a scathing review that is just not true. So read the good reviews and the bad reviews and use your best judgement.
- And last…how much do they charge? It has to make sense for your family’s budget. There are so many amazing photographers who have a pricing option that fits everyone’s needs.
Just a friendly reminder I will be sharing my interview with my hair and makeup artist, Steffanie, in the next few days! I’m so excited for ya’ll to get to know her better!